Monday 4 January 2016

Clarity challenge January 2106

January 4 th 2016

Happy new year!

My New Years resolution in January 2015 was to enter the Clarity challenge every month! I made it in January and then dismally failed thereafter.

Work, life and a redesign of the garden intervened and so I have renewed the resolution this year and plan to enter both challenges through 2016 including the calendar challenge. We ll see how I get on.........

Here is my entry for the 'say it with flowers' challenge for January.







I have made two cards but think this will be my entry, I have posted the other one underneath.I wanted to have a go at layering using clarity stencils and a variety of acrylic paints and distress inks/ markers. I also wanted to use the clear, gloss textile paste to see what happened!
I used various stencils (see if you can spot them all)! 
I love the fact that the acrylic paint acts as a resist to the distress inks. 
Dotty wave; lantern pods; brick wall; ocean swirl; ABC stencil; clock stencil; 
The dotty wave; brick wall and ABC stencil and lantern pods were done with acrylic paint first.
Distress inks; mustard seed; wild honey; pickled raspberry; dusty concord; peacock feathers and chipped sapphire round the edges. 
I used transparent gloss texture paste to add the dotty wave over the top, I used the Chinese lanterns in the first one I made but it was a bit over powering and also the texture paste was too thick.
I love the effect and all the layers give it a nice 'grungy' look.
The flower stamp is Gentian and columbine which I stamped onto 7 x 7 stencil card and masked while I did the background.
I like the texture paste effect which adds texture but doesn't detract from the detail.

Second card



Hope you like it. 



21 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary,
    Love both of your cards. Really like the texture that you've achieved. You've used one of my favourite stencils - the Chinese Lantern. Actually, I think I might like the second one slightly better, but both are fabulous - well done. Love Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards Hilary. The mix of colours, patterns and textures are fabulous and so funky. Good luck with this year's resolution to join in each month with the Clarity challenge. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow very interesting card lots of colour good luck in the clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your entry/entries are beautiful Hilary. I love the texture you've achieved with the different mediums and the colours are superb! Well done for renewing your resolution to enter every month's challenge. Hope you're able to enjoy each month's challenge at your leisure. Wishing you luck this month....& Happy New Year to you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card it is stunning. Thank you for entering the challenge and the best of luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sumptuous card, Hilary, I love the transparent aspect you have achieved, too. Thank you for joining in with this month's Clarity Challenge and best wishes. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, a stunning card. I love the colours and the texture, I just want to touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Hilary, this is stunning. The depth of colour you have achieved is amazing. Well done. Good luck in the challenge.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Hilary. What a wonderful design. I like both cards that you made. Best of luck in the challenge and lets hope you keep up your resolution. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both cards are brilliant Hilary, so much going on in your stenciled backgrounds. Looking forward to seeing your new designs each month and best of luck in this one x

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOve your card and it's colours

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow such a lovley use of colours stunning xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely! both cards are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful creations, wonderful colours. Love them. So glad you decided to enter all this years Charity Challenge and look forward to seeing more. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Hilary, they are both lovely, so colourful and the texture gives more interest. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilary both your cards are beautiful. Love the added texture. Thanks for joining this month's Clarity challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous Hilary. The rich, colourful, textured, grungy style you've used on this card is one that really appeals to me (but at the moment I am trying to conquer the CAS style). Let's make a pact to both enter the challenge every month this year, eh? Good luck with this month. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Hilary this is very clever. The close ups really show the amazing effects. Well done and Good Luck. xx PS only 11 more to go. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is stunning Hilary, I love all the colours, so vibrant, I'm amazed at how you've made them all work together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATULATIONS Hilary.. You made through top 5 at the Claritystamp Challenge. Well done xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS Hilary.. You made through top 5 at the Claritystamp Challenge. Well done xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. All comments are read and greatly appreciated. X x x